Thursday, September 3, 2015

Buzz Books 2015: Young Adult FALL/WINTER Review

This is my first feedback on anticipated new releases, and I'm excited to read all the samples!

I'm going to give each excerpt a score (out of five stars), a small description why I liked or didn't like what I've read and a section where I say if I want the full book/going to buy it.

1)The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin [5/5]

Feedback: as I read the few chapter available to me, I enjoyed every moment of reading this book. It was gripping and squeezed my heart in such ways... I just want to say I must get my hands on the physical copy when it comes out.
Would I buy this/want a copy: I might buy the hardcover when it comes out, it's so well written and I want to have it in my hands as soon as possible.

2)The Game of Lives by James Dashner [skipped]

Feedback: I was never a fan of Dashner's work, and I tried to read multiple novels by him, but I don't see whats with the buzz around him.
Would I buy this/want a copy: nope, I'm good, thanks.

3)These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly [2.5/5]

Feedback: the concept sounds interesting and all, but the writing didn't give any atmosphere of the time what so ever and can be hardly seen as a serious literate work of historical fiction.
Would I buy this/want a copy: maybe get an ARC to see if it get's any better further.

4)Inherit The Stars by Tessa Elswood [skipped]

Feedback: the ideas is not appealing in my eyes and I don't feel as if I would even so slightly enjoy it.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

5)The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle [1/5]

Feedback: the writing is very stiff and hard to read, I gave up after three pages to try and read it, even though the story does seem interesting.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

6)Nightfall by Jake Halpren and Peter Kujawinski [3/5]

Feedback: pretty confusing at first, but you start grasping the world building with each time-phase mention. Wasn't too bad, but wasn't the most gripping writing either.
Would I buy this/want a copy: maybe get an ARC, who knows.

7) What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler [0.5/5]

Feedback: the friends of a dead girl (I assume she's dead, they were too busy being clichéd teenagers) who just giggled and talked about the most mundane things that I just felt distracting from the actual story.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

8) Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman [3/5]

Feedback: this is actually pretty cute and has a decent idea and writing, although I didn't get too hooked on it.
Would I buy this/want a copy: I would request an ARC by the time this review is up.

9) Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff [4/5]

Feedback: a nice story-telling through information reports and interviews about a futuristic sci-fi setting. The writing is neat and even made me personally laugh several times.
Would I buy this/want a copy: hoping to get the arc, maybe buy it someday.

10) The Raging Light by Estelle Laure [2.5/5]

Feedback: the plot is intriguing and has a very interesting concept, but the writing is all over the place with no extra spaces between paragraphs or any interesting expressions.
Would I buy this/want a copy: an ARC maybe? Not too thrilled about it.

11) Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom [5/5]

Feedback:
Would I buy this/want a copy: would probably buy also, honestly.

12) A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McJovern [skipped]

Feedback: I have read several books in my national language of this topic, by now it bores me to speak of 'witnesses who could help the victim but didn't'.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

13) A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz [skipped]

Feedback: Fay stories don't hold my interest, especially that one.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

14) Dumplin' by Julie Murphy [4/5]

Feedback: the characters are nice and quirky, the writing is smooth-- just a bit more emotional depth and I think this would be amazing!
Would I buy this/want a copy: yes please!

15) The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness [3/5]

Feedback: seems like a book that can be a nicely paced read, nice concept and characters that I feel would be developed in the future.
Would I buy this/want a copy: yep, either way.

16) This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp [skipped]

Feedback: terrorism made by teenagers... again, something I read too much about.
Would I buy this/want a copy: no.

Received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment